Over the weekend I tried to build sip-2.2 and PyQt-2.2 on this platform:
  hardware:  SPARC
  os:        Solaris 2.5.1
  compilers: Sun cc/CC version 5

I was able to build Python 2.0 and Qt 2.2.1 for the above platform, but ran
into problems with sip and PyQt:

sip:
It's configure script does not handle not using gcc, and using Sun cc/CC
instead. Was unable to build it.

PyQt:
Similar issue as sip - difficulties configuring/building using Solaris
cc/CC instead of gcc. Not built.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time before I was able to figure out how to get
it working.

Does anyone know of any quick trick I can use to coerce the use of the Sun
compilers and linker? Has anyone else tried to get sip/PyQT working for
SPARC/Solaris 2.5.1 and Sun cc/CC?

This is enough to make me wish that my company would just use Solaris as a
gcc platform ...

I already reported this to Phil Thompson, and posted it to qt-interest.
Well I just found out about the PyKDE list, so I'll be interested if anyone
on this list has built PyQt using the Sun compiler ...

I don't have any experience with autocong/automake/libtool (yet), so I'm
not sure I'll be able to get this working myself in a reasonable amount of
time.

Thanks,

- Ulick Malone
  Synopsys, Inc.