> I finally ended up putting the connection in
> MyController.__before__().  That way it's created only in controllers
> that actually use the database,and it's one less module to modify.
> But I still want to see if it's possible to use one connection for
> several requests.

The usual way is to use a global dictionary that holds the connections
indexed by the thread id.
Something like this should work:

id = thread.get_ident()
global conn_cache
conn = conn_cache.get(id, newconnection())

Something like this is implemented in the threading.local() class which
is new in Python 2.4