Robert Sayre wrote:
Perhaps he means authentication that works with simple forms or basic,
but stores the password as sha1(salt + password). The credential would
then be stored as

username:salt:hexdigest

This is fairly standard practice, and provides decent security for
casual apps. It's what my app does with authkit set to 'forward'.

Yes, I do mean something along those lines, although I was thinking
something more akin to the mechanism by which Unix currently stores
encrypted passwords in plain text (if it's still doing so, I know it
used to, but the original mechanism is no longer secure, and I believe
new mechanisms are now in use).  There have been some attacks developed
on SHA-1 in recent years, so it would probably need to be at least
Tiger-192 or SHA-256.