On Jan 17, 2007, at 8:12 AM, Chas Emerick wrote:

> As mentioned in the referenced post, a generator set as a Response's
> content (as of pylons 0.9.4.1) while debugging is on will be consumed
> entirely before any content is sent to the client.
>
> Is there any way to get around this?  I've gotten too used to the
> fantastic interactive stack traces, etc.  If no workaround is readily
> available, I'll just hook into start_response directly.

Not really, the interactive debugger can't show you the screen unless
the output is done. Plus, imagine the flow:

- Your iterator starts sending content, (yes, the screen is now
filling with your content)
- Error occurs
- Interactive debugger pops in somewhere in the flow of the existing
content?

At that point, it would be left in an extremely hairy situation,
trying to give you something meaningful to work with after you've
already started who-knows-how-much of the page. There's some other
issues like the steps the evalexception needs to take to preserve the
run-time environment.

AFAIK, it would be at the very least, very difficult to have the
EvalException middleware not consume the iterator first. Maybe Ian
Bicking can chime in if I'm missing the 'real' reason it can't handle
an iterator.

HTH,
Ben