On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 17:00 -0800, Ben Bangert wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Matt Good wrote:
>
> > Yes, this was based on the Kid engine provided by TurboGears which
> > uses module-style names to load templates.  Last I checked Pylons also
> > expected all template engines besides Myghty and Mako to use this
> > convention.  I plan to make the Genshi plugin usable with file paths
> > as well, but of course I need to be sure to allow for backwards
> > compatibility.
>
> In the Mako plugin, I've set it up so that if you have a / in the
> template name, it assumes you're doing full paths. Thus if it sees
> 'dir.tmpl' it assumes its dot notation template, and if its '/dir/
> tmpl.html' it assumes its a path due to the /. If the Genshi template
> does this toggling as well, I'll add Genshi to the template engines
> that don't have their path 'touched' before it goes to the template
> engine.
>
> I'm not thrilled to be hacking around the TG spec, clearly a new spec
> is needed but as there doesn't seem to be any traction or clear
> leader of that spec and its evolution this should work decently in
> the meantime.

Actually, the "TG spec" is completely superfluous.  You can use "/"
rather than "." and it will work just fine.  I just removed support for
dotted path notation from Breve as it causes problems (e.g. paths with
dots in them) and provides nothing in return.  If you don't have a large
userbase of people expecting dot notation to work, I'd get rid of it now
before you do.

Regards,
Cliff