On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 10:50 -0700, Jamie wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions; unfortunately it's still not working.
> There was nothing in "/var/llog/messages", but I disabled selinux
> anyhow. I'm still getting a "file not found" error.
>
> I beginning to wonder if I have a deeper system issue though. The
> motherboard in my dev box blew out last week so I put the HDD in an
> available system. I don't know whether it's because the original had a
> 32-bit Intel chip and the new one has a 64-bit AMD, but some things
> have been a bit flaky. Python, for example, was complaining about not
> being able to find a module that's part of the base package. After
> recompiling it things worked normally again. I might just wipe it and
> reload. Keep you posted...

Did you do a fresh install on the AMD?  If so, did you install the
x86_64 or i386 version?  Most distros maintain a separate /usr/lib
and /usr/lib64 for compatibility and I've had issues with building
Python packages on these platforms.  In my case I managed to work around
it by simply getting rid of the 32-bit /usr/lib and renaming
the /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib.  The problem seems to be due to the fact
that certain Python modules get stuck in lib64 and some in lib and
Python gets confused.  Switching to pure 64 bit in this way will mean
you can't run certain binary-only packages (Flash for one) but won't
hurt much else.

As an aside, unless you've got over 4GB of RAM, you'll find that 64bit
mode will make your machine considerably slower (and less compatible) so
I'd highly recommend just sticking with the i386 version unless you've
got lots of RAM.

Regards,
Cliff