personally, think it would be best to decouple the moving parts as
much as possible

to me, there is :

   html form creation - great if this is baked-in, but it shouldn't be
required
   form validation - i think formencode is fine, but i often use it as
a first-pass and then handle things in my controllers too
   form submission - validation is only a portion of submission.  what
is triggering the validation ?  what happens when its a success ? how
about a failure ?

anything else could/should be a module that plugs into the forms.

the old @validate had some issues, but could have been extended into
something more powerful. at least in my usage i was able to separate
out the various phases and provide hooks back into it.