This question just came in about the sequence viewer...I'm anonymously
copying it to the mailing list since it is bound to come up frequently:

> Hey Warren,
>
> I just downloaded the new version of PyMOL and was playing
> with the new sequence view.  Is it possible to do a
> structural alignment (with 2 or more structures) and then
> view this alignment in sequence view?  Can you load/input
> your own sequence alignments?

PyMOL's sequence viewer does not currently have any alignment display
capabilities, but that functionality is definitely planned for the 0.97 or
0.98 releases.  In the meantime, the best use of the sequence viewer is
probably as a shortcut way to locate or alter the way specific regions of a
molecule are displayed.

However, you can perfom manual alignments with the sequence viewer by using
selections of equal length on two separate molecules.  For example, if you
select "sel02" including a set of N residues in "il2" and N residues in
"1tii", the following command will superimpose the two structures using that
selection

pair_fit il2////ca & sel02, 1tii////ca & sel02

Also note the following *tentative* sequence viewer controls:

Left button
   Create/edits selections by dragging
   w/ Shift - extend selections
   w/ Control - centers about current selection

Middle button
   Center residue
   w/ Control - Zoom residue
   w/ Shift - Center region
   w/ Control + Shift - Zoom region

Pop-up Menu:
   on Selection: apply action to complete selection
   off Selection: applies action to just that residue.

mailto:war...@delsci.com
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist
DeLano Scientific LLC