On Tuesday 29 March 2005 19:55, Sabuj Pattanayek wrote:
> Unfortunately I can't get pymol-0.97 & 0.98beta29/27 to open a pdb
> without crashing instantly. I also tested Chimera (1.2105), O v9.0.7,
> and rasmol and these seem to work ok but I guess they aren't using
> quads/quad strips. Thanks for your insight, I'll email nvidia with the
> contents of your email.

I can confirm these crashes. When I start PyMOL with a PDB file on the command
line ("pymol model.pdb"), the window opens briefly and the program generates
a segmentation fault. When I make a script file with just the command "load
model.pdb" and start pymol with "pymol script.pml", the same thing happens.
If I modify the script to read

load model.pdb
hide everything,all

and once again do "pymol script.pml", the program starts OK, and I can then
enable some of the representations without problems. However, when I select
the "default" preset representation from the action menu, the crash still
follows. So it seems that there is somerhing in the default representation
that triggers the NVidia driver bug, and by adding a "hide everything,all" to
the script, you can stop the default view quickly enough.

I am running PyMOL 0.97 on Gentoo Linux, on a dual Pentium 4 box, with the
1.0.7167 NVidia drivers (Gentoo package version number).

--
Lieven Buts
Vrije Universiteit Brussel