To follow up on one of Gilles least important questions: I was convinced that
the PDB must contain structures for which there are more than two alternate
conformations.  I downloaded all structures with resolutions between 0.5 and
1.0A and with a bit of regexp grepping, quickly found the following set of
examples with at least three alternate conformers (I didn't find any with more
than four, and the few that had four looked "suspicious"):

1BXO, 1BYI, 1CBN, 1CEX, 1DY5,
1EB6, 1EJG, 1EM0, 1EN8, 1EN9,
1ENE, 1ENN, 1ET1, 1EXR, 1F9Y,
1FN8, 1FY4, 1FY5, 1GCI, 1GDN,