On May 12, 2009, at 8:24 PM, David Hall wrote:

>>> I could see some use in being able to see forks off from the scripts
>>> in the wiki to people's individual computers though.
>>
>> this can be readily done via the repo
>

> Can you show how I can clone a single file out of the repository?
> Or how I can fork a single file from the repository?  Or see what
> people have made forks that only modify the file I care about?

git tracks the whole dir and not the individual files. single-file
tracking would have to be done on the user end by some suitable
combination of blame, diff and grep commands.

alternatively, the whole pymol scripts repository could be made of
submodules for each script. this would allow for some users to work
with just they scripts they care about without impinging on users that
prefer to clone the whole repo. i'm not sure how well this would work
if, say, someone were to add a new script to the repo.