Hi Nathan,

I have some insights for this issue. Basically the long gaps between the
selected parts become too expensive in the alignment scoring. Changing e.g. the
gap extension penalty leads to the expected result:

# default is extend=-0.7, lowering to -0.6
super gold & contact_all, test, cycles=0, object=super, extend=-0.6

I think PyMOL's handling of selection gaps during the alignment could be
improved, they should be handled different from regular alignment gaps.

--
Thomas Holder
PyMOL Principal Developer