Thanks for the pointer to the cartoon_side_chain_helper function, Tomas.

Unfortunately setting this feature 'on' warps beta strands, making it look
curvy, which is an atypical representation. Unless there is another means
to connect side chains to secondary structure elements, I will have to see
on a case by case basis what is the most visually correct and
simultaneously appealing representation.

Emilia.