Hi Stefan,

As far as a I know cartoon width settings like "cartoon_oval_length" and
"cartoon_oval_width" are object level settings meaning they cannot be
implemented on a per residues basis
(https://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Cartoon_Helix_Settings).

You can use the putty mode which sets width according to b-factors
(https://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/File:B_factor_putty.png)

You can set the residue b-factors to any desired per residue width

Another way is to use a colour spectrum instead of changing width

Let me know if you are interested in either of these approaches and I can help
you

Cheers,

Ali

Ali Kusay | BPharm (Hons) | PhD Candidate & Pharmacist
The University of Sydney School of Pharmacy | Faculty of Medicine and Health
424, Brain and Mind Centre | The University of Sydney | NSW 2050