Hello all,

TLDR; What’s the best way to place one molecule over a geometrically similar
but unrelated second molecule?

I’m a scientist studying the docking of glycans to antibodies. I’m trying to
use pymol to position my glycan, a 10-mer called gxm, close to its putative
binding site. My glycan has a protein mimetic, p1, an 11-mer, that I already
have docked to my antibody.

Since p1 and gxm have similar structures, I’d like to align gxm as close as
possible to where p1 goes on my p1-antibody co-crystal structure. However,
since my glycan and my protein have no sequence alignment, I haven’t been able
to use align, super, fit, etc. I tried using pair fit and pymol kept crashing
when I called it. Cealign sounded like a good option, but, because I’m using a
10-mer and an 11-mer, I got an error that the sequences were too short.

The best I’ve been able to do is translate gxm to p1’s center of mass, then
manually adjust gxm with my mouse. However, that’s obviously imprecise. Does
anyone have any ideas for how I could overlap my glycan more closely to my
protein?

Thanks!

Savannah Speir

Post Baccalaureate Fellow