Hello all,

I recently brought a new laptop (Windows 11) and had installed Anaconda along
with their python interpreter. When it came time to install PyMOL, I saw on the
website that it was possible to install PyMOL through Anaconda.

This was very convenient for me, as with my previous laptop (Windows 10), I ran
into issues having two python installs on the same device. Installing PyMOL
through Anaconda in the base (root) environment would save me from a potential
hassle.

I ran the command on the PyMOL website (conda install -c conda-forge -c
schrodinger pymol-bundle) in the Anaconda prompt, installing PyMOL in the
default environment. When I tried to open PyMOL through the desktop, nothing
happens.

However, when I try to open PyMOL through the Anaconda Navigator, I get the
following error message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\ProgramData\anaconda3\Scripts\pymol-script.py", line 6, in from pymol
import launch
File "C:\ProgramData\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pymol\__init__.py", line 620,
in import pymol._cmd
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _cmd: The specified module could
not be found.

After this error, I installed PyMOL through the installer (to check if it was
an issue with the PyMOL version) and it worked. With this in mind I carried out
the following troubleshooting steps:

  *   Install PyMOL through Anaconda (with the command from the website) on
another PC that has not PyMOL installed before.
  *   Compare the installed packages in the install from Anaconda and from the
installer. Resolve the differences in the Anaconda install.
  *   Install PyMOL through Anaconda using other commands I found on the
internet, including the one used to install a previous versions of PyMOL.

All of the afformentioned steps were unsucessful in getting the Anaconda
install to open.

I have also compared the "__init__.py" from the Anaconda and installer installs
and they are the same. I have also attempted to find the "__cmd" file in the
installer install but was unsucessful. I am at a loss as to what is causing the
installer install to go through but the Anaconda install to fail.

I was hoping if others have a fix for this so that the Anaconda installation
opens as I have tried looking for a solution online but failed to find anything
useful.

Hope you have a nice day.

Best Wishes,
Naveen Ravichandran