> I definitely must mention HPy, but yes, too early to recommend it for
> production purposes.

:D

> As for Cython/CFFI/ctypes, I keep having the intuition that CFFI can (and
> likely should) replace all uses of ctypes (I've never seen anything else in
> the stdlib cause as many Python hard crashes as ctypes!)

Some (perhaps many and potentially all) uses of ctypes potentially
segfault because they rely on Python code determining the correct type
used by an installed C library, when doing so correctly means passing
the correct header to the compiler and using its output. As far as I
know, such issues were one of the reasons for CFFI being developed in
the first place.

> as well as many uses of the API (until HPy's mature) [probably not uses of
> Cython, which, if understand right, will just change to use HPy fruitfully
> "under the covers"] --  but I guess I'll have to work on proving that
> myself:-).

Yes, the goal is to add a Cython backend that generates HPy C code,
hopefully without the Cython user having to change any code.

Regards,
Simon