The solution is to ensure that the distribution's package for QtSvg development is installed.

On Ubunutu 13.04, installing package 'Qtcreator' is not enough.
You also must install package 'libqt5svg5-dev'.
(A decision made by Ubuntu packagers?)

The symptoms (in my case) started with a Python import error for module PyQt5.QtSvg.
Then if you add the verbose flag >python3 configure.py --verbose,
in the output you see that several modules are not built: e.g.
'Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: svg'

This error message is from qmake as it processes the .pro file.
In QtCreator, it manifests itself as "...pro could not be parsed".
But I suppose it means that header files could not be found?

I found that these other modules do not build:
help
multimedia
multimediawidgets
designer
webkit
webkitwidgets
sensors
serialport
xmlpatterns
axcontainer

I suppose there are separate 'dev' packages for those, such as 'qtmultimedia5-dev'.
I haven't found an omnibus package on Ubuntu yet.

Also, with a different symptom, the QtOpenGL module does not build?

qt5 -I/usr/include/qt5/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt5/QtCore -I. -o cfgtest__QOpenGLFunctions_2_0.o cfgtest__QOpenGLFunctions_2_0.cpp cfgtest__QOpenGLFunctions_2_0.cpp:1:34: fatal error: qopenglfunctions_2_0.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [cfgtest__QOpenGLFunctions_2_0.o] Error 1