On 14/05/13 16:15, andre hotz wrote:
My application has 4 areas, defined by a 2x2 QGridLayout. Each area can
have single widgets and also sub layouts.
Now I want the user to be able to interactivly change the size of each
of the 4 areas by a handle.
Basically what a QSplitter does, but QSplitter seems only to work on
widgets, not on complete layouts.

Are you using Qt Designer? It is very easy to do exactly what you want if you use it.

Firstly, you need to get rid of the top-level grid layout. Next, make sure that each of the four areas consists of either a single widget, or a single layout (which can, of course, contain any number of child widgets and/or sub-layouts).

Now select the top pair of areas, and put them into a horizontal splitter. Then do the same for the bottom pair. Finally, the top and bottom splitters can be put into in a vertical splitter, to complete the four-pane arrangement.

Once the splitters have been set up, you just need to add a top-level layout for the main form.

--
Regards
Baz Walter