Hello everyone,

This is my first project with pytables and from the manual and videos,
it seems like it should suit my application very well. I'm currently
trying to figure out how to go about organizing my groups, tables, and
arrays logically for my simulation and post-processing.

I'm running a stochastic simulation of Brownian motion for a number of
particles, for which I'll present a simplified version here. At each
time step, I determine if some particles have left the system,
determine the next position of the remaining particles, and then
introduce new particles into the system at defined starting
coordinates. I have a defined set of particle sources, which also act
as sinks. I would like to store information about these sources as
well as all the x-y-z location data for the particles.

My current thought is to have two groups: sources and particles.
sources would look like:

/sources                                Group
/sources/parameters             Table (info such as # particles
released+captured, and other parameters)
/sources/coordinates            Array (x-y-z coordinates)

During the simulation, some values in /sources/parameters would be
modified but the coordinates would be fixed.

My _main problem_ is thinking about organizing my particles. Each
particle has information associated with it such as its origin,
endpoint, release-time, capture-time, etc, which I thought to store in
one table. Each particle also has a history of x-y-z coordinates at
given timepoints. For this, I think that an EArray() seems best for
the x-y-z coordinates, and I'm not sure if the timepoint should also
be in this array or not. Also, because the simulation will be dealing
with 1e4 to 1e5 particles, I don't think it would be efficient to
create separate tables for them.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to organize the data, that would be
helpful. I have found the thread on this mailing list "Advice on
organizing data" (http://tinyurl.com/yd88ts5) and the linked PDF
(http://zeus.ws.dei.polimi.it/is-manet/Documenti/pap-isti-5.pdf). I'm
still trying to understand them but I think I'm getting there. I need
a way to link the particle information with its location history.
Thanks in advance.

Faisal Moledina
University of Toronto
faisal.moled...@gmail.com

P.S. I described my problem at the Python Tutor mailing list and
pytables was suggested to me there. The link to that thread is
http://www.mail-archive.com/tu...@python.org/msg39430.html. It
describes my current SQLite method.