Hi Brad,

Il 10/12/2011 20:36, Brad Buran ha scritto:
> I am trying to speed up some analysis routines on arrays that are
> approximately 16 x 200,000,000 elements (stored in HDF5 arrays that
> were originally created with PyTables).  I was looking into whether I
> could speed up the analysis using tricks such as memmap and numexpr;
> however, since I need to perform row-wise operations (e.g. computing
> the dot product with a 16x16 array followed by a scipy.signal.filter
> operation) which requires indexing, I do not believe I can use
> numexpr.  This leaves "memmaping", but I understand that PyTables
> offers something similar.  I found a very old discussion on this
> mailing list
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/pytables-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01295.html),
> but the link Francesc provided to the slides from Euro Scipy
> describing how to use a blocking technique with PyTables no longer
> works.  Does anyone have access to the original slides?

Probably material you are looking for is at

http://www.pytables.org/moin/HowToUse#Presentations

> I'm assuming that the blocking technique is as simple as determining a
> chunk size to operate on and then looping through the PyTables Array,
> and saving the result to a new PyTables array, but I was curious to
> see if the slides point out any subtleties of this approach that I
> should be aware of.
>
> If I understand correctly, the blocking approach is as simple as the
> following:
>
> # note that diff is a 16x16 array
> source = f_in.root.data
> dest = f_in.createCArray('/', 'result', atom=tables.Float32Atom(),
> size=source.size)
> temp = np.empty((16, chunksize))
> for chunk in range(n_chunks):
>    block = source[:, chunk*chunksize:chunk*chunksize+chunksize]
>    result = np.dot(diff, block, out=temp)
>    result = scipy.signal.filtfilt(b, a, result)
>    dest[:, chunk*chunksize:chunk*chunksize+chunksize] = result
>
> Thanks!
> Brad

Yes, this is the idea.
Surely Francesc can provide very useful hints about this topic.
On my part I can suggest you to choose very carefully the chunk shape
when you generate your datasets.

Best regards

--
Antonio Valentino

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011