Hi Francesc,

Il 11/07/2012 11:33, Francesc Alted ha scritto:
> Hey Antonio, this looks great.

Thanks :)

> BTW, which is the status of the 3.x support?  I vaguely remember
> you asking me for some help on this, but I don't remember well. Not
> that I have a lot of time to spend on it, but perhaps I can use
> some hours in the next days.

well, in PyTables 2.4 we made some job in preparation of the porting
to python3, but the porting itself is still not started.

One of the main issues is that numexpr still not supports python3 so
we have a missing dependency.

I started a porting of numexpr to python3 (see [1]) but it is still
incomplete.
I hope it is good enough to let us start working on the porting of
PyTables.

Of course if you would like to give a look to numexpr for python3 it
would be of great help.

After the PyTables 2.4 final I plan to publish a wiki page with my
roadmap proposal. IMHO main points are:

* open a new branch in the repo
* remove al deprecated code (Numeric, numarray, netcdf3, etc). This
breaks the API and, IMHO, we will also need to bump the format version
* ensure that all the required SW work (enough) on python3
* handle str/unicode issues
* full support to unicode HDF5 object names
* start working an a good setup for 2to3 (needs some investigation)
* ...

Please let me know if you think there are other point that are
important for python3 support

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/numexpr/M2MVjXsBR0c

cheers

> Thanks,
>
> Francesc
>
> On 7/7/12 8:47 PM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> =========================== Announcing PyTables 2.4.0b1
>
> We are happy to announce PyTables 2.4.0b1.

[CUT]

- --
Antonio Valentino