On 7/28/13 9:58 PM, Anthony Scopatz wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM, David Reed <david.ree...@gmail.com
> <mailto:david.ree...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm really trying to become more productive using PyTables, but am
>     struggling with what I should be using.  Whats the difference
>     between a table and an array?
>

> Hi David,
>
> The difference between Arrays and Tables, conceptually is the same as
> the different between numpy arrays and numpy structured arrays.  The
> plain old [Aa]rray is a continuous block of a single data type.
>  Tables and structured arrays have a more complex data type that is
> composed of a continuous sequence of other data types (ie the fields /
> columns).  Which data structure you use really depends a lot of the
> type of problem you are trying to solve and what kinds of questions
> you want to answer with that data structure.
>
> That said, the implementation of Tables is far more similar to EArrays
> than Arrays.  So a lot of the performance trade offs that you see are
> similar.

Besides this, another interesting difference is that Tables allow
queries to be performed in a similar way to relational databases (but
using a more NumPy-esque syntax).  Here it is some examples:

http://pytables.github.io/cookbook/hints_for_sql_users.html?highlight=query#selecting-data

and you can index columns too:

http://pytables.github.io/cookbook/hints_for_sql_users.html?highlight=query#creating-an-index

so that you can accelerate queries involving indexed columns.

--
Francesc Alted