Daniel J. Popowich wrote:

As I said in my previous email to the list, I *think* if you use
virtual hosts and your "real" sites are NOT the first real host, then
you are forcing clients to speak HTTP/1.1, thus forcing the Host
header to be sent.

This is technically false. A better way to put it might be: When using name-based virtual hosts, a Host: header must be sent. If it is not, the default server will respond to the request, regardless of the hostname used in the URI by the client, or, optionally, in the request string itself (as an absoluteURI via a proxy server, for example).

Also, the Host: header is not limited to HTTP/1.1.