On 3 Jan 2005, at 23:40, Bob Ippolito wrote:
Most people on Mac OS X have a lot of memory, and Mac OS X generally does a good job about swapping in and out without causing much of a problem, so I'm personally not very surprised that it could go unnoticed this long.

*Except* when you're low on free disk space. 10.2 and before were really bad with this, usually hanging the machine, 10.3 is better but it's still pretty bad when compared to other unixen. It probably has something to do with the way OSX overcommits memory and swapspace, for which it apparently uses a different algorithm than FreeBSD or Linux.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bittorrent problem report in this thread was due to being low on diskspace. And that could also be true for the original error report that sparked this discussion.
--
Jack Jansen, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack