On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:07:37 -0600, Ian Bicking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One case occurred to me with the discussion of strings and files, i.e.,
> adapting from a string to a file.  Let's say an IReadableFile, since
> files are too ambiguous.
>
> Consider the case where we are using a path object, like Jason
> Orendorff's or py.path.  It seems quite reasonable and unambiguous that
> a string could be adapted to such a path object.  It also seems quite
> reasonable and unambiguous that a path object could be adapted to a
> IReadableFile by opening the file at the given path.

This strikes me as a strange use of adaptation -- I don't see how a
string can act-as-a path object, or how a path object can act-as-a
file.  I see that you might be able to *create* a path object from-a
string, or a file from-a path object, but IMHO this falls more into
the category of object construction than object adaptation...

Are these the sorts of things we can expect people to be doing with
adaptation?  Or is in really intended mainly for the act-as-a behavior
that I had assumed...?

Steve
--
You can wordify anything if you just verb it.
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy