On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:35:53 -0500, Phillip J. Eby
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 04:06 PM 1/17/05 +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
> >a) Is Exception to be new-style?
>
> Probably not in 2.5; Martin and others have suggested that this could
> introduce instability for users' existing exception classes.

Really? I thought that was eventually decided to be a very small amount of code.

> >b) Somewhat but not entirely independently, would demanding that all
> >    new-style exceptions inherit from Exception be reasonable?
>
> Yes.  Right now you can't have a new-style exception at all, so it would be
> quite reasonable to require new ones to inherit from Exception.

That would be much more reasonable if Exception itself was a new-style
class. As long as it isn't, you'd have to declare new-style classes
like this:

class MyError(Exception, object):

which is ugly.