Just van Rossum wrote:
Skip Montanaro wrote:

Just re.sub("[\r\n]+", "\n", s) and I think you're good to go.

I don't think that in general you want to fold multiple empty lines into
one. This would be my prefered regex:

    s = re.sub(r"\r\n?", "\n", s)

Catches both DOS and old-style Mac line endings. Alternatively, you can
use s.splitlines():

    s = "\n".join(s.splitlines()) + "\n"

This also makes sure the string ends with a \n, which may or may not be
a good thing, depending on your application.

Do people consider this a bug that should be fixed in Python 2.4.1 and Python 2.3.6 (if it ever exists), or is the resposibility for doing this transformation on the application that embeds Python?

--
Stuart Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/