[Anthony Baxter]
>>> I didn't see any replies to the last post, so I'll ask again with a
>>> better subject line - as I said last time, as far as I'm aware, I'm
>>> not aware of anyone having done a fix for the issue Tim identified
>>> ( http://www.python.org/sf/1069160 )
>>>
>>> So, my question is: Is this important enough to delay a 2.4 final
>>> for?

[Tim]
>> Not according to me; said before I'd be happy if everyone pretended I
>> hadn't filed that report until a month after 2.4 final was released.

[Raymond Hettinger]
> Any chance of this getting fixed before 2.4.1 goes out in February?

It probably won't be fixed by me.  It would be better if a Unix-head
volunteered to repair it, because the most likely kind of thread race
(explained in the bug report) has proven impossible to provoke on
Windows (short of carefully inserting sleeps into Python's C code) any
of the times this bug has been reported in the past (the same kind of
bug has appeared several times in different parts of Python's
threading code -- holding the GIL is not sufficient protection against
concurrent mutation of the tstate chain, for reasons explained in the
bug report).

A fix is very simple (also explained in the bug report) -- acquire the
damn mutex, don't trust to luck.