Tony Meyer wrote:
[Thanks for bringing this up, BTW, Thomas].

[Thomas Heller]

[Vincent Wehren]

According to the EULA,

Is that the EULA of MS VC++?

The full text of the EULA for Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 can be found
at http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/eula.aspx

For VS.NET:
http://proprietary.clendons.co.nz/licenses/eula/VisualStudiodotnetEnterpriseArchitect2002-eula.htm

you may distribute anything listed in redist.txt:

And, just to be clear, mscvr71.dll is in redist.txt?

Not in the free toolkit; in the $-version it must be.

I'm not that familiar with the names of all these things.  Is the "Microsoft
Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" the free thing that you can get?

Yep.

In the case of not owning a compiler at all, chances seem pretty slim you have any rights to distribute anything.

Well, I 'own' a copy of gcc, which is a compiler <wink>.

Can anyone here suggest a way to get around this?  As a specific example:
the SpamBayes distribution includes a py2exe binary, and it would be nice
(although not essential) to build this with 2.4.  However, at the moment my
name goes down as the release manager, and I don't have (AFAICT) a licence
to redistribute msvcr71.dl.

Okay: thinking about this for a bit longer: it is the Python interpreter that needs msvcr71.dll, right. You need the python interpreter for py2exe. The distributor of Python is allowed to redistribute msvcr71.dll, and you are acting as re-distributor for the Python interpreter (to end users) and the EULA never even cares for/applies to the frozen binary...

--
Vincent Wehren

Should people in this situation just stick with 2.3 or buy a copy of a MS compiler?

=Tony.Meyer