At 01:38 AM 3/10/05 -0500, Nicholas Bastin wrote:
I realize that this is exceedingly late in the game, but is anybody interested in doing a Write-Python-Bindings-for-SWT sprint? It's been brought up before in various places, and PyCon seems the likely place to get enough concentrated knowledge to actually get it kicked off and somewhat working...

I'm certainly interested in the concept in general, though I'm curious whether the planned approach is a GCJ/SWIG wrapper, or a javaclass (bytecode translation)+ctypes dynamic approach. I'm somewhat more interested in the latter approach, as I find C++ a bit of a pain with respect to buildability.

An additional complication is that SWT is a different package on each platform, so it's not so much "port SWT to Python" as "port SWT-windows to Python", "port SWT-Mac to Python", etc.

(I assume that you're talking about porting to a JVM-less CPython extension, since if you were to leave it in Java you could just use Jython or one of the binary Python-Java bridges to access SWT as-is.)