> To save you from following that link, to this day I still mentally
> translate "setdefault" to "getorset" whenever I see it.

I read these out of order (so didn't see the giveaway getorsetandget) and
spent some time wondering what an "orset" was.  I figured it must be some
obscure CS/text processing/numeric/literary term that suited this usage.  So
obscure that google's define couldn't find me a definition.

set[with]default is maybe a terrible name, but it does have some things
going for it ;)

=Tony.Meyer

...perhaps it was the similarity to corset...but surely I'm too young to
have "corset" spring to mind before "or set"...