Guido van Rossum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :

> > Whenever the template definition and its use are not directly
> > adjacent, the template is that much harder to understand (i.e.,

This `i.e.` should have read `e.g.` :-(

> > in the context of translation, one wouldn't see the arguments
> > passed to the template).
>
> The operative word being *whenever*. You're thinking of the i18n use
> case, where the format string is separated from the arguments. I'm
> thinking of the non-i18n use case, where the format isalmost always a
> string *literal* adjacent to the arguments. I'm not at all convinced
> that we should attempt to find a solution that handles both use cases;
> most Python code never needs i18n.

I often put format strings into class variables (to be overriden) or
pass them around as arguments, which has nothing to do with i18n.
And i18n is going to be more and more important (says this german
speaker who always tries to get away with English programs :-)

I'm all for allowing positional arguments but would badly
miss named arguments.
--
Christian Tanzer                                    http://www.c-tanzer.at/