On 10/24/05, Bill Janssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > - yet others think: "I want all of Unicode, with proper, efficient
> > >    indexing, so I want four bytes per char".
> >
> > I doubt the last one though. Probably they really don't want efficient
> > indexing, they want to perform higher-level operations that currently
> > are only possible using efficient indexing or slicing. With the right
> > API. perhaps they could work just as efficiently with an internal
> > representation of UTF-8.
>
> I just got mail this morning from a researcher who wants exactly what
> Martin described, and wondered why the default MacPython 2.4.2 didn't
> provide it by default. :-)

Oh, I don't doubt that they want it. But often they don't *need* it,
and the higher-level goal they are trying to accomplish can be dealt
with better in a different way. (Sort of my response to people asking
for static typing in Python as well. :-)

Did they tell you what they were trying to do that MacPython 2.4.2
wouldn't let them, beyond "represent a large Unicode string as an
array of 4-byte integers"?