"Martin v. Löwis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> Just to clarify - what we are asking for is library built with
>>> _DEBUG and no BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON, that is the one compatible with
>>> default Python distribution.
>> I know you're trying to help, but I'm sure that's not making
>> anything
>> clearer for these people.  They don't know anything about
>> BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON and would never have cause to define it.
>>

> Actually, I'm truly puzzled.

I was afraid this would happen.  Really, you're better off ignoring
Bronek's message.

> Why would a library that has _DEBUG defined
> be compatible with the standard distribution? Doesn't _DEBUG cause
> linkage with msvcr71d.dll?

Unless you do the hacks that I mentioned in my opening message.
Read http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html#variants for
details.

> In addition (more correctly: for that reason), the debug build causes
> python2x_d.dll to be build, instead of python2x.dll, which definitely
> is incompatible with the standard DLL. It not only uses a different
> C library; it also causes Py_DEBUG to be defined, which in turn creates
> a different memory layout for PyObject.

Exactly.

> So in the end, I would assume you are requesting what you call a
> debug-python, i.e. one that (in your system) *has*
> BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON defined.

What I am requesting is the good old python2x_d.dll and any associated
extension modules that get built as part of the Python distro, so I
can stop doing the hack, drop BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON, and tell people use
_DEBUG in the usual way.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting