On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 11:35 -0800, Josiah Carlson wrote:

> In regards to naming conventions, I find that CapWords are easier for me
> to read and remember as a native speaker of english.  I've heard
> statements from non-native english speakers that CapWords are hard to
> read and/or understand, but in the realm of wxPython, changing literally
> thousands of CapWords references to lower_underscore during wrapping,
> along with the hundreds of thousands of references in just a few of the
> larger wxPython projects is a bit out of line.  Or even convincing the
> hundreds of other packages which use CapWords or lower_underscore to
> change how their naming conventions work is going to be a tough fight.

None of which PEP 8 recommends (in fact, it strongly recommends against
massive renames).  What PEP 8 is saying is that /new/ code, especially
new code intended for the stdlib, should follow the PEP's guidelines.

Which is why I think we need one strong recommendation.  Over time, as
modules are naturally updated or supplanted, we'll get more consistency
in the stdlib across packages.

-Barry