Michael Hudson wrote:
> The thing that bothers me about it is that the standard way you tell
> python to do something is "call a function" -- to me, a special case
> for exiting the interpreter seems out of proportion.

That would assume that the user knows that exit is a function:
apparently, people expect it to be a statement (like print), or
they are entirely unaware of the distinctions between statements,
expressions, and functions. I often find that my students call
them "commands" collectively (if they want to be more specific,
they call the functions "methods").

Regards,
Martin