On Dec 28, 2005, at 2:57 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> Since I routinely use 2-item tuples (twoples?)
>
> I've been using "pairs" to describe that datatype. Not sure
> how common it is in English, but in German, "Zweitupel"
> is often called "Paar".

I use 'pair', too, admittedly by analogy with C++'s std::pair type.
(The Italian closest word "paio" would imply that the two items are
in some sense "homogeneous"; to avoid that implication one would use
"coppia", which differently from English "a couple" ALWAYS, not just
sometimes, implies exactly two items; so I can't base myself on
analogies with my own mothertongue;-).

Alex