[Martin v. Löwis]
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work at all, because svn_buildbot.py does
> not report branches on which a change happened, so if you have multiple
> schedulers for a subversion source, they either all build when a change
> occurs, or none of them.
>
> If svn_version knew about branches (which I'll have to implement,
> or incorporate the patch that I saw somewhere), it would probably
> work - I have now code to create builders and schedulers in a nested
> loop.

Branches are working sensibly on buildbot.zope.org, so maybe Benji
York (who did most or all of the heavy buildbot lifting at Zope Corp)
could share some clues.  I see that Benji is subscribed to python-dev,
but many people in this part of the world are on vacation this week.

> If people really need to be able to force a build, I can activate
> that, of course - but not with explicit consent of the operators
> of the build slaves.

You can't force a build from:

    http://buildbot.zope.org

either, but there's a different (and "secret") URL from which you can
force builds.   That's been handy for me primarily for experimenting
with theories about why our Windows buildbot slaves get wedged after a
build or two.  The ZC buildbots have also (IMO) been configured to
ignore too much, which is a problem Python doesn't have (e.g., ZODB is
stitched into Zope via svn externals, and for some time the ZC
buildbot didn't think replacing ZODB was "a reason" to run the Zope
tests again).  IOW, I doubt there's much need for it here.