Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > but now we're back to today's situation:
> >
> >     >>> quit
> >     'Use Ctrl-Z plus Return to exit.'
> >
> > which violates the basic "if you know what I mean, why the /!"&/&!//%¤
> > don't you do what I say" usability rule.
>
> What nonsense. Every Python programmer knows that the right way to
> exit Python is to enter a platform EOF. The quit and exit variables
> are compromises for non-programmers who have accidentally entered
> Python and who don't know how to get out of it

why is it that "non-pythoneers" are always referred to as "non-programmers" ?

is the current user base so large so we no longer need to care about people
moving in from other environments ?

(for those who follow non-python forums, there's a meme going around out
there that says that python developers are arrogant, and will always defend
the existing design with "we're right, you're wrong" or a "we're right, you're
stupid", and that the current "exit" non-design is an excellent example of this.
my proposal was partially motivated by an urge to prove them wrong, but it
seems as I accidentally proved them to be right...)

</F>