Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Regarding the meme floating about the arrogance of Pythoneers:
> bloggers (pretty much by definition) are actually the most arrogant
> species; don't confuse "bloggers say" with "most people think".

Sure, but I'm not only talking about the mindless ranters here; it's also
people that back their opinions with at least a few examples -- including
exit (and its "it's good for you that you have to learn more than you want
at a time when you're not interested" defenders), replies to "what's wrong
with Python's floating point type" along the lines of "that you don't under-
stand how floating point works", and so on.

(fwiw, this meme has also appeared on comp.lang.python quite a few times
lately -- and no, I'm not confusing "comp.lang.python" with "most people"
either)

I do think it's a problem that Python advocates suffer from a "everything's
perfect all the time" attitude.  "it ain't broke because we say so".

I think it's a larger problem that Python developers suffer from the same
attitude; in reality, some things are carefully thought out and craftily im-
plemented, some things are engineering tradeoffs made at a certain time,
and some things are just accidents -- but python-dev will happily defend
the current solution with the same energy, no matter what it is.

</F>