I haven't followed the thread, so many I'm repeating things.

Has anyone considered using e.g. MediaWiki (the wiki used for
Wikipedia) for Python documentation ?

I'm asking because this wiki has proven to be ideally suited
for creating complex documentation tasks and offers many features
which would make Python documentation a lot easier and more
accessible:

* people wouldn't have to learn LaTeX to commit doc-patches
* it's easy to monitor and revert changes, discuss changes
* there's version history available
* new docs would be instantly available on the web
* builtin search facility, categories and all the other nifty
  wiki stuff
* it's one of the more popular wikis around and due to Wikipedia
  it's here to stay
* conversion to XML and DocBook is possible, providing
  entry points for conversion to other formats (including
  LaTeX)
* more following means more tools (over time)

Just a thought.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 30 2005)