(This is a bulk reply to several messages in this thread from Georg
and Fredrik.)

[Georg]
> >> http://effbot.org/lib/os.path.join

[Guido]
> > Which (despite having "perma" in its name) evaporates and leaves
> > behind a link to os.path.html#join.

[Georg]
> There may be other uses (e.g. marking a certain location in the docs with
> a "permalink" marker so that one can point the user to /lib/marker.
> Especially useful for the tutorial and recurring c.l.py questions ;)

Rather than allowing users to add new markers I'd like the document to
be sprinked generously with pregenerated markers to which one can
easily linked. I've seen sample docs (not for Python) with such a
feature.

[Fredrik, in a different message]

>      http://online.effbot.org/2006_01_01_archive.htm#link-doc
>
> to make them "real permalinks", we could:
>
> - generate individual pages for all targets (on demand), with
>   a "see this in context"
> - return the same page and use some javascript trickery to
>   emulate anchors
>
> or use some other approach that I cannot think of right now

That sounds overkill. But if you could drop the redundant ".html", the
links in the source could look like like

  .../os.path#join

which is just fine with me (and solves the problem of what part is the
module, on which you spend altogether much time explaining how to
compute in the current version :-).

> however, at this point, I'm more interested in getting the information
> model to a point where this can be done.

Understood. What's still missing from the info model? It looks pretty
complete to me from a quick scan.

[Georg again]
> >> What I would suggest (for any new doc system) is a "split" view: on the
> >> left,
> >> the normal text, on the right, an area with only the headings, functions,
> >> example and "see also" links (which preferably stays in sight). This way,
> >> you
> >> always keep the outline in view.

[Guido]
> > Can you mock that up a bit? I'm somewhat confused about what you're
> > requesting, and also worried that it would take up too much horizontal
> > space. (Despite that monitors are wider than tall, horizontal real
> > estate feels more scarce than vertical, because horizontal scrolling
> > is such a pain.)

[Georg]
> Something like
>
> http://home.in.tum.de/~brandlg/zipfile.html
>
> (It works this way (position: fixed) in most browsers, for IE one would have
> apply compatibility hacks.)

I believe there's a CSS trick (most often used for images) that can
makes the summary window "float" to the right so that below it the
main text resumes the full breadth of the window. If you can pull that
off I think this is a good addition!

> >> Of course, I wouldn't say no to a user-commenting system, but this would
> >> have to
> >> be moderated.
> >
> > Why? If wikipedia can do without moderation (for most pages)  then why
> > couldn't the Python docs?
>
> Well, why not... it's surely worth a try. Perhaps using a spam filter like
> most
> modern weblogs would suffice.

Have you studied wikipedia's approach? It's multi-layered and worth
learning from (start with their FAQ on editing).

(And by the way, I am *not* advocating writing the docs as one big
wikipedia -- only the user commentary.)

[Fredrik again]
> the [] syntax has its issues, including that it makes keyword arguments
> look like positional arguments,

(I think that is actually Python's fault for not distinguishing them
in the function definition. :-)

> and that descriptions that have lots of
> optional arguments tend to look like either
>
>     foo([a[,b[,c[,d[,e[,f]]]]]])
>
>     foo([a][,b][,c][,d][,e][,f])
>
> where the first one is ugly and hard to read, and the latter is, strictly
> speaking, not correct.

Or (my favorite, but still wrong)

  foo([a, b, c, d, e, f])

> there are ways to address all these problems with a more pythonic syntax,
> but I'll have to get back to that later.

Please do.

[Fredrik, in yet another message]
> anyway, what I intended to say was that we should work harder on lowering the
> threshold for drive-by contributions; it should be possible for anyone to
> notice a
> problem, add a comment or correction, preview the correction properly
> rendered,
> and submit it to a moderation queue, in less than a minute.

Given that it will take significantly longer to *process* the queue I
don't necessarily want to make the contribution process *too* easy --
we need to balance the quality of the contributions with the ease to
make them. For many simple corrections (spelling, grammar, inversions,
some factual mistakes)  the need to preview the correction properly
rendered is quite unnecessary; the important part is being able to
*point* at any word or words in the text and attach a comment.

> (I still think moderation is needed before corrections are made visible, but
> that
> should be no harder, nor require any more tools, than making the correction in
> the first place.  I'm sure we could get some turbogears/django hackers to
> build
> us a nice moderation queue webapp in no time at all...)

Agreed. But as I said above, I think there should also be a way to
simply add comments, without moderation (but with wikipedia-style
editing / spam-removal / moderation after-the-fact). And, probably, if
we don't get to the moderation queue etc., the comments wiki could
serve as a moderation queue as well. Being public, it would also
reduce the submission of duplicate corrections (especially when the
moderator is out of town for a while).

[Fredrik, later]
> if we move over to a web-oriented (wiki-ish) maintenance model, we
> probably have to accept that "X" will, sometimes, be a future release.

This makes me worry that you're thinking of abandoning having separate
docs per version. That would be a shame; I think the docs ought to be
maintained well enough to be authorative for a particular version
(modulo bugs in the docs). Perhaps we could add links that let you
navigate between versions quickly, and hopefully we can somehow
(optionally?) merge the wiki-style user comments across versions.
(Although I can also see the point of starting afresh for each release
-- at some point the sheer amount of (possibly outdated) user comments
reduces their usefulness.