Fuzzyman <fuzzyman <at> voidspace.org.uk> writes:

> In the past there has been some discussion about a new module to replace
> ConfigParser. Most notably at
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/ConfigParserShootout
[snip]
> It would be possible to extend to the ConfigObj API to be backwards
> compatible with ConfigParser. This would bring the added benefits of
> ConfigObj, without needing to add an extra module to the standard library.
>
> Well nearly. ConfigObj supports config file schema with (optional) type
> conversion, through a companion module called validate. This could be
> included or left as an added option.
>
> Anyway. If this stands a *chance* of acceptance, I'll write the PEP (and
> if accepted, do the work - which is not inconsiderable).

Personally, I'd prefer to have the different candidates in the Shootout be
evaluated and a "winner" picked (I'm not sure who would do this, or when it
would be done). I'll readily declare an interest - I've implemented an
alternative hierarchical config module (which is in no way backward compatible
with ConfigParser), see

http://www.red-dove.com/python_config.html

Regards,

Vinay Sajip