On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 11:45 -0800, Keith Dart wrote:

> There are other, third-party, SMTP server objects available. You could
> always use one of those.

Very true.  In fact, Twisted comes to the rescue again here.  When I
needed to test Mailman's NNTP integration I could either spend several
weeks figuring out how to install and configure some traditional NNTP
server, or I could just install Twisted and run exactly three commands
(one of which was "sudo" :).

> Once the "Python egg" and PyPI improve and start widespread use perhaps
> the question of what is in the core library and what is not will become
> moot.

Indeed.

> Being a Gentoo Linux user I already enjoy having many modules
> available, with automatic dependency installation, on demand. So the
> idea of "core" library is already blurred for me.

Although I'm doing a lot more dev on the Mac these days, I definitely
agree that this is what makes Gentoo so cool for Linux, and I can't wait
for Gentoo-on-OSX to switch to doing things the Right Way (can you say
bye-bye DarwinPorts?).

-Barry