On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 11:30 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> In the past, the protocol for aqcuiring a PEP number has been to ask
> the PEP coordinators (Barry Warsaw and David Goodger) to assign one. I
> believe that we could simplify this protocol to avoid necessary
> involvement of the PEP coordinators; all that is needed is someone
> with checkin privileges. I propose the following protocol:

[omitted]

In general, this is probably fine.  Occasionally we reserve a PEP number
for something special, or for a pre-request, but I think both are pretty
rare.  And because of svn and the commit messages we can at least catch
those fairly quickly and fix them.  Maybe we can add known reserved
numbers to PEP 0 so they aren't taken accidentally.

What I'm actually more concerned about is that we (really David) often
review PEPs and reject first submissions on several grounds.  I must say
that David's done such a good job at keeping the quality of PEPs high
that I'm leery of interfering with that.  OTOH, perhaps those with
commit privileges should be expected to produce high quality PEPs on the
first draft.

Maybe we can amend your rules to those people who both have commit
privileges and have successfully submitted a PEP before.  PEP virgins
should go through the normal process.

-Barry