On 2020-07-02 22:17, Jeff Allen wrote:
On 01/07/2020 21:01, Ethan Furman wrote:

A not-great article, White Fears of Dispossession: Dreyer's English, The Elements of Style,and the Racial Mapping of English Discourse, here:

http://radicalteacher.library.pitt.edu/ojs/radicalteacher/issue/view/19/25

Thanks for posting this. (What a lot of work you must've done to find it.) As a result I feel I have a much better understanding of the environment in which these thought processes (those displayed in the commit message) would be considered rational, even admirable. Food for thought.

I found the language difficult to understand. For example, "in the midst and post the election" instead of "during and after the election". And multiply-stacked nouns. And nouns used as verbs. Much like "management-speak". If you believe you have something important to say, then at least say it clearly.

E. B. White was born in New York -- I believe that's in the northern part of the United States, otherwise known as "The North" or the side that fought to end slavery.

E. B. White was educated at Cornell.

We should acknowledge that he famously showed an interest in web development and invented a sort of mouse. ;-)