On 2020-07-08 02:20, Greg Ewing wrote:
On 8/07/20 12:48 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:
"for x[0] in iter:" uses
x[0] as an assignment target,

You're right, there are some others, but I think they're
equally clear -- all the ones I can think of are directly
after a keyword ("for", "as", "import", etc.)

But in match statements, they can be arbitrarily
intermingled with other expression-like stuff.

You're right about the presence/absence of a dot being very subtle,
but hang tight, wait for the next publication of the PEP; its authors
are working on that exact problem.

It looks like the only thing they're doing is dropping
the *leading* dot case -- without providing any replacement
for it. That only addresses one small part of my concern,
since I think the non-leading dot is nearly as subtle.
Maybe even more so, since at least the leading dot was
obviously something different.

Also I don't like the idea of being *forced* to use
a namespace for my constants, regardless of how good an
idea the PEP authors think it is.

Prefixing values with "==" might be the clearest, an idea that, I think, Ethan came up with. It might not look elegant, but...