On 2/15/06, Michael Foord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm intrigued  by the encoding guessing techniques you envisage.

Don't hold your breath. *I* am not very interested in guessing
encodings -- I was just commenting on posts by others that mentioned
difficulties caused by this approach. My position is that the standard
library (with the exception of XML processing code perhaps) shouldn't
be *guessing* encodings but simply using the encoding specified by the
user (or the OS default) in the environment or some such place. (It is
OS dependent how to retrieve this information but my hypothesis is
that every OS with any kind of text support has a way to get this info
-- even if it's as rudimentary as "it's always ASCII" (v7 Unix :-) or
"it's always UTF-8" (I am hoping this will eventually be the answer in
the distant future).