On 2020-12-16 19:19, Paul Moore wrote:
Personally, I just have Visual Studio and VS Code as my text editor. I
rarely use Visual Studio directly, though, I mostly use the
`build.bat` and similar scripts in the `PCBuild` directory.

Having said that, I'm not doing anything like debugging problems with
DLLs, for which I imagine a decent C development environment is
needed. You don't have much choice other than Visual Studio there (no
other compiler is supported on Windows), though, so you'll probably
need to learn that.

Paul

FWIW, I debug the regex module in Visual Studio 2019 Community.

I compile a release build with optimisations turned off when I'm going to be single-stepping through the code, otherwise it's very confusing with it jumping around all over the place due to the optimisations it's done.